Motor Burger: Not your typical burger joint


When you go out to eat, menus can be overwhelming with so many choices. One item though that never goes out of style is the good old-fashioned burger. Motor Burger is a trendy place here in Windsor Ontario that offers a variety of burgers (lamb, vegetarian, etc) with toppings from traditional lettuce and tomato to goat cheese and tapenade, to suit just about everyone’s needs. Not only that, but you can enjoy a laid-back atmosphere, friendly service and a higher quality of food for a reasonable price.

Walking into Motor Burger, there was a pleasant aroma coming from the kitchen. To me, that’s always a good start to entering a restaurant. I wasn’t particularly wow’ed by the decor, as it had a minimalistic eco-friendly vibe. However, you could still stop in at the bar area and make your way over to a comfy couch to watch your favourite sport on the big screen TVs that were placed at various spots. Oh and might I mention that I heard one of my favourite bands; The Cure, playing at least 3-4 times, so I must say whomever was manning the music from above, I was feeling just like heaven!

Now let’s discuss the food. First up was the appetizer. We were convinced that we had found the best place for deep-fried pickles before, but were sadly mistaken when we took a bite into Motor Burger’s! The crisp pickle was wrapped up perfectly inside the crunchy herb-flavoured batter and Bill commented that when you bit into it, the pickle did not slide out at all. Another bonus, it was hardly greasy so you could easily ditch the knife and fork. The only downside, we wanted more!



Next were the entrees. They were served on wooden planks with a small bed of lettuce and a pickle on the side. My boyfriend Bill had the classic burger, which consisted of a nice 8-oz hamburger with pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, onions and what they call motor sauce. He loved it and thought the hamburger was excellent quality. My eyes were stuck on the lamb-orghini (8-oz lamb burger with goat cheese and sun-dried tomato tapenade) and so I kindly asked the waitress to put the goat cheese and tapenade on the side for me so I could just put on as much as I wanted, or really just have it plain, if need be. When it comes to dining out, I’m the “I’d like that on the side, please” kind of gal. It was no problem and she seemed happy to comply with my request. I really enjoyed the lamb burger. It was juicy and delicious. I couldn’t get enough of the goat cheese. It was so tasty and smooth. It didn’t have that awful pungent “why does this taste like smelly socks?” flavour. The tapenade though was way too spicy for me though, so I left that alone.

Now to wash down two incredibly tasty meals, what’s for dessert? We were both excited to see the dessert menu but our hearts sank when nothing appealed to either of us. I felt silly to ask the waitress if the chocolate cake was spicy but when I read habanero, I thought that I should inquire. Thankfully she was honest and said that it’s fine when you eat it but afterwards, you’re going to really feel the heat. Her friend had it and regretted it. So considering I like everything mild and Bill doesn’t need to prove his manliness by burning his insides, we passed. Our other choices were not much better with seeing alcohol infused on everything or having deep-fried treats. It seemed like overkill after the appetizer. Others may enjoy the options, but for us, it was a let down and we had to seek out a dessert place elsewhere.

Overall, we enjoyed the Motor Burger experience. If you’re looking for a high-quality burger, they are definitely a place to check out. They even offer a ‘supercharge’ option, so if you’re extra hungry, double up. If you’re not in the mood for burgers, they still have a decent selection of other foods, including some rather healthy-sounding salads.

So if you have plans to motor west (specifically south-west Windsor Ontario) go to Motor Burger, they’re the best!

*Sadly, as of 2021, Motor Burger is no longer open.

No comments:

Post a Comment