My Top 10 Movies of 2016

We have been such cinema-holics and as the year comes to a close, I have a list of my personal top 10 movie choices of 2016.

Leave me a comment and let me know your favourite film(s) of 2016!! It's okay if you disagree with my choices as well, again, we all have our own opinions. :)

Sing Street - I don't believe that this movie came out to our theatre here in Windsor, but I had the pleasure to watch it online recently. Immediately after the credits started rolling, I logged into my Amazon account and ordered the DVD. This Irish film is wonderfully nostalgic for 80's lovers like myself (think The Cure, Duran Duran) has a refreshing original soundtrack, quirky characters and a great story.  Ferdia Walsh-Peelo (aka Conor "Cosmo") and Raphina (played by Lucy Boynton) were made for these roles and are so refreshing to watch their undeniable chemistry that feels very innocent but has an underlying maturity. A must see and must-buy. No joke, I've watched it now at least 30 times. The whole soundtrack is great, but To Find You and Up are my top favs.


Bridget Jones's Baby - Okay Bridget Jones's Diary was amazing, followed by Bridget Jones's Diary: Edge of Reason, which was a big disappointment. The anticipated 3rd movie; Bridget Jones's Baby had me a little on edge especially knowing that Hugh Grant would be absent. I wasn't sure if it would have the same charm. I'm happy to report that I was a teary-eyed mess and felt all those warm fuzzy feelings like I did in the first one. Patrick Dempsey was excellent, and who can forget the wonderfully-acted Colin Firth (aka Mark Darcy). With joyful moments and all those awkward mistakes that lovable Bridget tends to fumble over, it really brings out a sense of humanity in her character. Oh and don't forget to check out the soundtrack which is just lovely and perfectly-fitting with Ellie Goulding's “Still Falling For You” and Jess Glynne's “Hold My Hand.”  I pre-ordered this one on DVD.

Storks - You may think that this movie is just aimed at a younger audience, but I found it to be a real family film for everyone to enjoy. Humour is on all levels (think of Shrek). It's an adorable animation comedy that has so many heart-warming scenes and the most lovable quirky characters.


10 Cloverfield Lane - Quite an intense suspense thriller that will have you glued to the screen. The film is engaging and keeps your heart-racing the whole time. Excellent story (note I never saw the first Cloverfield), well-paced, smart dialogue, and John Goodman's acting ability makes the hairs on your arm stand up. He is convincing as both a hero and a villain, which makes it impossible to pick just one side.



The Accountant - I enjoyed this film a lot. Immediately, many compared the "autism" role in a negative light, due to Dustin Hoffman's outstanding performance in Rain Man, but these are two very different types of films, so it doesn't seem fair to judge because both characters have the commonality trait of being on the autism spectrum. I think Ben Affleck was very impressive in his role as a highly functional autistic man who taps into the dark crime world as a freelance accountant.



Kubo and the Two Strings - This may seem like another tale of good vs evil, but it goes way beyond that concept. The film has many layers that heighten your curiousity, which really make the film very meaningful. Kubo has a wondrous spirit that makes you feel connected to the story. It also has a very whimsical feel with beautiful imagery and terrific stop-motion animation.


Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - This movie won't win any awards and I think it's not everyone's cup of tea, especially those who are easily offended by rude, unapologetic and raunchy level humour. However, I really enjoyed this one. I couldn't stop laughing and to me, that earned a place here on the list.


Deepwater Horizon - Another incredible based on a true story event of the catastrophic Gulf of Mexico BP oil spill. Action-packed all the way through with awe-inspiring moments of portraying the real-life heroes who risked their lives to save their crew members. Mark Walhberg and John Malkovich really stood out for me.



Hacksaw Ridge - Warning: This movie has graphic violence and if you're sensitive to loud sounds, this is not the movie for you to see.  Mel Gibson as a director was quite surprising, as he captures the brutality of war in such a raw way.  Andrew Garfield was also perfectly casted in his role portraying real-life hero, Desmond Doss. It was also great to see Vince Vaughn showcasing his talents on a more serious level.

Denial  - A very controversial film due to the content and subject matter. Holocaust-deniers sadly do exist and the most disgusting thought is that they take away the pain from the victims who did survive and their families. Within our constitution, we are not granted total freedom to say whatever we want without the threat of retaliation and legal repercussions.  In the end, we can take some comfort that as stated beautifully in the film, "denying the truth, doesn't change the facts."  Rachel Weisz, Tom Wilkinson and Timothy Spall give outstanding performances and in my opinion, is a film not one to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment